Frist Line Leadership Two Day Class 16 Hrs
In the ever-evolving realm of law enforcement, the pivotal role of effective leadership among first-line supervisors cannot be overstated. This course delves into the nuanced aspects of police leadership, emphasizing its profound impact on an agency's functionality. Nearly every significant incident in law enforcement history, from notorious cases like the Rodney King incident and the LAPD Rampart CRASH Unit, to smaller yet equally crucial disciplinary issues and citizen complaints, can be traced back to the presence or absence of strong leadership. While supervision is reactive, true leadership is proactive and transformative. This program offers a deep dive into the skills and strategies essential for leading officers effectively in today's dynamic law enforcement landscape.
- Role of the Supervisor: Understand the multifaceted responsibilities and roles of supervisors in law enforcement agencies.
- Leadership vs Supervision: Differentiate between supervision and leadership, exploring their distinct impacts on law enforcement operations.
- Conflict Resolution: Develop techniques to handle conflicts effectively, ensuring a harmonious work environment.
- De-escalation Techniques: Master de-escalation strategies crucial for diffusing tense situations and promoting community safety.
- Personal Management: Enhance personal management skills, enabling supervisors to effectively balance their professional and personal lives.
- Dealing with Difficult Employees: Acquire tools to manage challenging personnel situations and foster a positive workplace atmosphere.
- Counseling Employees: Learn effective counseling methods to support employees' professional growth and well-being.
- Supervisors’ Role in Critical Incidents: Understand supervisors' critical role during high-stress incidents, ensuring efficient crisis management.
- Professionalism: Cultivate a culture of professionalism within the department, setting high standards for conduct and performance.
- Hot Topics in Policing: Explore current issues and trends in law enforcement, promoting awareness and adaptability among supervisors.
- Empowering Others: Develop leadership strategies that enhance team members' confidence and capabilities.
- Ethical Decision Making: Explore ethical dilemmas in law enforcement and develop principled approaches to decision-making.
- Legal Issues in Police Supervision: Understand legal aspects relevant to police supervision, ensuring compliance with regulations and laws.
Instructor: Sgt Eric Smith
With a commendable 21-year tenure at the Charleston Police Department, Sgt Eric Smith brings a wealth of practical experience to the classroom. His accolades and awards underscore his expertise in law enforcement. Serving in roles such as Detective in the Special Enforcement Unit and Intelligence Officer in the Criminal Investigation Division, Sgt Smith possesses a deep understanding of the intricacies of police work. Currently, as the Director of Public Safety, he supervises employees across two campuses. Sgt. Eric Smith holds a Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership and is pursuing a Masters of Science in Strategic Leadership, reflecting his commitment to continuous learning and professional growth.
- Duration: Two-day class (16 hours)
- Tuition: $350 per student
- Certification: Certified for 16 hours of Supervisory Service credit
For more information and registration, please contact KTS Law Enforcement Training:
Join us in advancing your leadership skills and shaping the future of law enforcement supervision. Enroll now to gain invaluable insights and techniques from experienced professionals.